Disclaimer: It is important to follow public health advice from authoritative organizations related to contagious illnesses such as COVID-19. Practice social distancing, wash your hands frequently and call your doctor promptly if you have any symptoms that concern you.
Sensible precautions and healthy choices can lower your risk of disease.
A healthy lifestyle will probably do more for your immune system than any miracle supplements. Healthy habits make you strong, fit and maximize your resistance to infections and illnesses.
CONSIDER THESE 14 SIMPLE WAYS TO ENHANCE YOUR IMMUNITY
Implement HEALTHY eating habits that support immunity
- Eat vegetables and fruits daily. They are rich in antioxidants and vitamins that help fight inflammation and pathogens.
- Avoid sugar. In addition to filling your body with “empty calories,” consuming large quantities of sugar can increase your risk of developing multiple illnesses, including cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
- Increase your fibre intake. High fibre foods have a positive effect on your gut microbiome, thus supporting the functioning of your immune system.
- Try adding probiotics to your diet. Fermented foods are a good source of friendly gut bacteria that helps both digestion and your immune system. Try adding kombucha, kimchi and fermented veggies to your diet.
- Drink a lot of unsweetened tea. Green tea, in particular, contains antioxidants called flavonoids that enhance immune function and fight oxidative stress and inflammation related to many diseases. It also keeps you hydrated.
- Add herbs and spices to your cooking. They enhance flavours and support immune functions. Try coriander, garlic, ginger, and turmeric.
- Add adaptogens to your diet. Adaptogens are plants that help balance hormones in your body and relieve stress. Adaptogens help your body resist all internal and external sources of stress. Try adding Ashwagandha, Rhodiola and Ginseng to your healthy eating habits.
Other Healthy Habits that Support YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
- Quit bad habits such as smoking and drinking alcohol. Both lower your antioxidant levels and make you more susceptible to infections. They overload your body’s detoxification process with toxins and weaken your ability to fight illnesses.
- Know the signs. How can you tell if your immune system may be weak? Monitor yourself for common signs such as frequent infections, fatigue, and wounds that are slow to heal.
- If you are overweight, try to lose a pound or two. Studies have shown that being obese or overweight burdens your immune system. Try to Balance your diet and move your body.
- Exercise regularly. Staying active and moving helps detoxify your body and has tremendous benefits for your immune system.
- Stay social even when the odds are against you. Having a good support system and social life increases your wellbeing and mental health. Make it a priority to spend time with your friends and family. Even if you can’t be physically at the same place, today’s technology allows you to enjoy quality time with your loved ones. Try Zoom, Hangouts, WhatsApp, or HouseParty.
- Reduce your stress daily. Chronic tension increases the production of hormones that inhibit your immune system. In addition to exercise, you can also relax with meditation and other techniques.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Make it a priority to get seven to eight hours of sleep every night. Studies have shown that people who sleep well are less likely to get a cold than those who do not. Allow your mind and body to rest properly.
Your immune system is working to protect your body day and night, even when you are at rest. Taking care of your immune system will certainly give you a longer, healthier life.