9 SIMPLE TECHNIQUES TO LOWER YOUR STRESS AND CALM YOUR MIND
Our minds do not like uncertainty. As humans, we tend to prefer having control over our lives and futures in order to feel safe. The uncertainly COVID-19 brought to our world, economies and social interactions is unlike anything we’ve seen before. It has certainly taken a toll on our minds and mental health. We are constantly overwhelmed by the news, our overconsumption of social media and FEAR. This has left some of us in a state of paralysis. We find ourselves with racing minds stuck in numb bodies.
“when nothing is certain, anything is possible” - Mandy Hale
Despite the fact that this chaos has deprived us of essential freedoms we have long taken for granted; it is also here to remind us that we should prioritize our health and wellbeing! I know it is easier said than done, but we must switch perspectives and remember that “when nothing is certain, anything is possible,” and that “this too shall pass!”
While we certainly have more time to focus on ourselves right now, more often than not, we focus on the things we are doing or NOT doing, leading to confusion, anxiety, and annoyance. This stress can be hard on the mind and body, but the good news is that you can lower your stress levels and calm your mind, helping yourself to feel better each day.
The secret is to take action to find your Real Balance. You do that by treating your mind just as well as you treat your body.
YOU can overcome stress and anxiety with a few simple techniques!
First, acknowledge that you must take time for yourself. Being all things to all people is not realistic, and neither is doing everything and solving all problems or concerns in one day. No one should expect that of you, not even you! If you do, you must recognize that it's not healthy, and you must do what's right and best for yourself. Your health and happiness depend on it.
Ways to Calm Your Mind
- Meditation and prayer are two of the biggest ways to calm a restless mind, but they are not the only things you can do. There are many other ways to feel better and live a stress-free life. You might also consider:
- Listening to music
- Using your mind for joyous pursuits that interest you
- Playing with children or pets
- Volunteering or focusing on helping others
Everyone has something that brings them joy in life; you have to find your “thing” and employ it when you feel stressed or your thoughts run away from you. Remember, you are in charge. Avoid letting your thoughts and fears talk you out of your dreams. Your dreams are yours; embrace and protect them!
Being busy is not a problem when it comes to your mind. Being busy with things that aggravate you and make you feel down is the problem. Instead of dwelling on things that upset you, deal with them, let them go, and move on to things that you enjoy. You can do this with your thoughts, just like you would with a physical task in the workplace or at home.
WORK ON LOWERING YOUR STRESS LEVELS EVERY DAY
Stress begins in your mind as thoughts, but it can also manifest physically. You may feel tense, anxious, uneasy, angry, or have aches and pains that seem inexplicable. If stress becomes chronic, your health could be compromised. You can let stress go and feel good every day.
Here are some of our top strategies to lower stress:
- Focus on what matters to you. What's important in your life? Be proactive about your goals and priorities. When you're working toward something that you want, it makes you feel good about yourself and your future.
- Find both physical and mental ways to release your stress. Releasing your stress every day keeps it from building up inside you. Make the conscious choice to start each day fresh, without the stress from the day prior.
- What relaxes you? Music? Hobbies? Spending time with family? Enjoy a healthy dose of relaxation every day and do more of what makes you happy.
- Get as much exercise as possible. Exercise refreshes your body with a surge of oxygen and releases endorphins, the "feel-good" hormone. Even if there's no time for a daily exercise regimen, take the stairs instead of the elevator, park far away from your final destination so you can walk, play with your kids, put on music and dance like no one is watching!
- Practice these strategies consistently. Work on releasing stress every day, even on days when you don't feel stressed. That way, you won’t struggle to embrace these strategies when you really need them. When you are feeling good, it's natural to forget about letting stress go, but it's important to avoid getting complacent. Practice makes perfect!
Keep practising and improving, even when you feel great!
If you implement this practise each day, you’ll start to feel calmer, even in situations that used to trigger you. You will build control over your thoughts and feel stronger as you liberate your body from the affliction of stress and anxiety.