Organic skincare essentially means looking after your skin by only using products with entirely organic ingredients. For those that aren't familiar with the concept, organic products are derived from natural farming living ingredients that have not undergone any chemical alteration.
That means nothing that has been highly processed in a lab, and nothing with lots of letters and numbers to its name. Organic products are made from minerals, muds, oils, plants, and foods. The result is they are typically a lot less harsh and a lot more nourishing. And they are incredibly effective at helping you maintain better skin.
Not sold? Then here are five compelling reasons to make the switch today.
1 Organic Skincare products Are Good for the environment
A lot of the non-organic beauty and skincare items you are using are pretty bad for the environment. Developing non-organic products requires factories that produce toxic gasses and by-products.
They tend to include compounds such as petroleum, aluminum, and lead, many of which require mining and don't play particularly well when left in land-fills. In particular, aluminum mining is a dangerous and unrewarding job that has been known to cause cancer and Alzheimer's for a long time. Many other harmful substances will also find their way back into the ecosystem through other means.
Apart from the fact that this is bad for the workers, it can also be harsh on the environment that is being bled dry of its natural resources. It is not an industry anyone who cares about the futur eof our planet should be supporting!Conversely, organic products use ingredients that come from natural farming and organic gardening. These are products created by working with the land while protecting and respecting its resources. Unsurprisingly, they're good for the planet. Plus, most of the organic products are vegan and don't get tested on animals.
2 They Don't Include Harsh Chemicals
What will initially attract most people to organic makeup and skincare is the absence of harsh chemicals. These "nasties" include many potentially harmful ingredients like parabens and phthalates, which have been linked to cancer and type 2 diabetes, among other health issues.
Even where this isn't the case, often the unnatural aromas and binding agents used can cause a range of reactions in the skin, leading to rashes and more problems. Not enough for you? Here are just a few other ingredients thrown into our sun blocks, moisturisers, and concealers:
- Lead: Lead was removed from school pencils due to the number of health concerns surrounding it and the high likelihood that it is carcinogenic. Despite this, lead is still used in vast quantities in several different makeups.
- Parfum: Parfum is not just one product but a term that encompasses many different products. These are designed to add fragrance to our skincare products (because that matters?) as well as things like fabric softeners. They can cause a vast range of issues ranging from rashes, to headaches, to dizziness, to skin discoloration. That's right, the manufacturer producing the products intended to improve your skin is actively adding ingredients that can damage its tone and create rashes. So it will smell nice. Go figure!
- Aluminum: There's nothing wrong with aluminum in principle; it's when you apply it all over your skin that it becomes an issue! Aluminum is found in antiperspirants in particular but can be found elsewhere too. It has estrogen-like effects, which can damage your hormone balance, leading to loss of muscle mass, depression, and more.
- Estrogenic Compounds: There are many estrogenic compounds in makeup and skincare products. Their disposal via the sewers has actually led to the average male's testosterone levels dropping significantly. Before you use any skin care product,you should know that your skin will absorb whatever you place on it. These ingredients will eventually make their way to your bloodstream and that's where many of the serious health issues stem from.
- Dangerous Chemicals Used in Conventional Shampoo: It's not just your makeup and skincare products that contain these contaminants and toxins either! Walking around with powerful chemicals in your hair is – unsurprisingly – not especially good for you. This means you'll be absorbing those chemicals through your scalp, potentially harming your brain and also inhaling the fumes. Of course, the risk this involves depends on the product you've chosen.
One thing we do know for sure is many shampoos and conditions contain synthetic estrogen compounds. As mentioned, these work like real estrogens and can prevent the body from producing the right amount of testosterone. If you use synthetic shampoos, this could contribute to low mood, low energy, weight gain, and potentially even infertility! These are all some pretty good reasons to switch to organic shampoos.
Then there are all the added benefits you get from choosing an organic shampoo and conditioner option – you'll be providing your scalp and hair with more natural oils and nutrients to support better overall health. You'll also be providing yourself with a more pleasant natural scent, sometimes at an even better price.
- Fluoride: is included in most toothpastes and we're often told that it can be a very effective tool in combating cavities. While this may indeed be true, what we hear about less often is that it can also cause a large number of problems. Fluoride is toxic and in high doses, it can actually damage your teeth. It may even be linked with learning disabilities.
Still not convinced about fluoride? Then consider that the chief way of making fluoride is actually to extract it from the airborne industrial waste given off by fertilizer manufacturers? Now this is where things get interesting, because you see fluoride is actually already in our water. Governments elected to add it there, believing that it would help to improve our teeth and remove bacteria.
This upset a lot of people as you may have expected, and at the same time, it means that you really don't need it added to your toothpaste! There's actually more than enough of it in the water already for any positive effects to be enjoyed.
Oh and by the way, fluoride is neurotoxic meaning that it actually causes brain damage!
3 Organic skincare and hair care are Rich in Nutrients and Smell Great
Organic makeup, skin and hair care products will provide you with a ton of natural nutrients including vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Again, these are absorbed into the body and they can be used to make you look more radiant in the long term as well as the short. Often these even include natural antioxidants, which can protect your skin cells and prevent premature aging – as well as fending off cancer!
Here's the thing to recognize: your body evolved in the wild. We evolved to thrive in our natural environments, and thus we are physically designed to benefit from the nutrients that come from the mud, the plants, and the sea. When you apply those to your face, it's like going home again for your body. It's incredible for you.
4 Organic self-care products can be Fun and Personal
"Thanks, I made it myself!"
How rewarding would that be? And when you tell them it's homemade, organic lipstick, it's bound to lead to a great conversation.
When you make your own organic makeup for instance, you can create your perfect shade, feel, and tone. You know it's going to have a genuinely subtle and natural hue because it is made from genuinely natural and subtle ingredients.
As humans, we actually learned our idea of what's 'beautiful' from our time spent in the wild when we were evolving. So if you look more natural, you will appear automatically more beautiful…
5 They can be cheaper then their "convential" counterpart
With so many good reasons to switch to organic products, you're probably wondering what the catch is. Must it be the price, right?
Nope! The price is perhaps the best bid. Many organic natural beauty products can be made as easily as mixing some items in your cupboard. This means there's no trip to the supermarket necessary, and you can start benefiting right away.
There is literally no reason not to swap toxic for organic!